A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
Without a picture, it’s hard for others to imagine your vision. Images are an important tool for your brand when selling any product. They not only show off the color and details of the product, but they help to create an identity around your brand. Let’s go over some basics that will help you take some killer pictures for your social media and website.
Cameras are a complex subject that can often be difficult to understand, so it’s important to do your research. You’ll want a camera that has all the features you need, from the simple to the complicated. Feeling overwhelmed by the options? Even if you’re a beginner there are many camera options on the market that produce quality photos and won’t break your budget.
Here are some of our favorites (ranked by price):
Image from ShotKit
With today’s advances in technology, camera phones are getting so good that they’re starting to rival expensive cameras. Taking high-quality photos with your phone is easier than it’s ever been. Just set your camera in “Portrait Mode”, switch the function to HDR and you’ll be taking high-definition photos close to DSLR quality.
Apps like Lightroom and VSCO give you the ability to edit your images right from your phone the instant a photo is taken. The biggest downside to using a phone for editing is the occasional limitations with file sizes. You might run into issues displaying your images on a larger scale, like on a website, versus on a social media app.
Point and Shoot Cameras
Image of Canon SX740
Point and shoot cameras are simple - all the user has to do is point at the subject and shoot the photo. Point and shoot cameras are classic digital cameras that remove the complexity of lens changes and settings adjustments. These are the perfect cameras for beginners who don't have a lot of photography knowledge.
Point and shoot model options:
- Canon Power Shoot G7 x Mark II – A top of the line point and shoot. This well-made camera by Canon allows you to shoot in manual and capture 4K video.
- Canon Power Shot SX740 – With options like time-lapse, 4K video, and incredible zoom power, this is a great camera to bring along to your next shoot.
- Olympus Tough TG-6 – This waterproof camera is great to capture all the action and adventure happening outdoors. It features 4K video capabilities with 12 megapixels. This camera is great for any outdoor brands since it performs well in tough conditions and low light.
Cropped-Frame DSLR Camera
Image of Canon Rebel
Any brand just starting out and looking to create their own content that can stand out on social media as well as websites should consider looking into a cropped-frame DSLR camera. Typically the lower-end of the DSLR cameras, these are DSLR cameras with a smaller frame. Cropped-Frame DSLR cameras allow you to customize your settings and add lenses, but will also require some basic camera knowledge.
Cropped-frame camera options:
- Nikon D7500 – A fantastic mid-level cropped-frame, this camera has all sorts of high-end DSLR features while still maintaining a cropped-frame and lower price point.
- Canon EOS Rebel T7 – This entry-level Canon camera has all the great features of a DSLR camera but with a much more manageable body.
Full-Frame DSLR Camera
Image of Canon 5D Mark iv
Maybe you’ve used a camera a time or two and you really want to upgrade to take high-quality images for full-page images on your website, blog, or even in print.
A full-frame DSLR has a larger sensor area, allowing for a deeper depth of field and the ability to use wide-angle lenses. If you think you might be taking a lot of pictures and want them to be super high-quality you should consider diving into a top of the line DSLR camera.
Full-Frame DSLR options:
- Canon 5D Mark iv – The newest Canon is a full-frame camera with all of the bells and whistles. With the ability to take 4K video you aren’t limited with what you can do with this camera at all.
- Nikon D850 – Nikon’s mid-level DSLR is the perfect full-frame camera for enthusiasts who know a bit about cameras and want to do more. It can even take 4K video too.
Mirrorless DSLR Camera
Image of Sony A7R
New to the market, mirrorless cameras are the future of digital camera technology. A standard camera has a mirror inside that reflects the image through the lens in order to capture it. But with a mirrorless camera, the image is captured completely digitally.
Mirrorless cameras are increasing in popularity due to their ability to take striking 4K video and perform exceptionally well in low lighting.
The top mirrorless camera on the market:
- Sony A7R iv – This high-quality mirrorless camera is lighter and more compact than it’s other DSLR friends. The body of the camera is much sleeker due to its use of microlenses, allowing it to be easily held by any user. With 61.0 Megapixels, 10.0 fps, and ISO 32000 this camera has absolutely everything you could ask for - even some of the highest quality 4K video out there on a DSLR.